Roger Maris hit home run #57 fifty-years-ago today.
Visitors to the Roger Maris Museum at West Acres Shopping Center in Fargo can see the ball – which was thrown by Detroit Pitcher Frank Larry and hit out of Tiger Stadium. Fifty-seven home runs in a single season is a feat still only achieved by 10 MLB hitters since 1921 (Baseball Almanac).
Fifty-years since 61 culminated with these last five:
- September 16 – Game 151 vs. Detroit
- September 17 – Game 152 vs. Detroit – off pitcher Terry Fox
- September 20 – Game 155 vs. Baltimore – off pitcher Milt Pappas
- September 26 – Game 159 vs. Baltimore – off pitcher Jack Fisher
- October 1 – Game 163 vs. Boston – off pitcher Tracy Stallard
You can learn more about Maris’ historic season online. The Roger Maris Museum is free and features his Sultan of Swat crowns, autographed balls, jerseys, a replica of his Yankees locker and a video highlighting his career.
To experience baseball in Maris’s hometown of Fargo – where he also started his baseball career – check out the FM RedHawks.